The Yeşil Mosque ( Bursa), the Yeşil (Çelebi Sultan Mehmet) Tomb, the Ulu Mosque (Cami Kebir), the Muradiye (Murat II) Mosque and the Muradiye Medresesi, the Emir Sultan Mosque and Tomb, the Yıldırım Mosque, the Yıldırım Tomb, the Yıldırım Complex, the Yeşil Complex, the Tomb of Osman Gazi, the Tomb of Orhan Gazi, Muradiye (Murat II) Mosque, the Tomb of Hatuniye, the Tomb of Şehzade Mahmut, the Tomb of Şehzade Mustafa (Mustafa Cedid), the Tomb of Şehzade Mustafa (Ahmet) (Cem Sultan), The Tomb of Mükrime Hatun, the Tomb of Ara Mustafa Paşa, the Tomb of Hamzabey and the Orhan Bey Mosque.
Bursa's Mosques and Tombs
Churches and Synagogues
Bursa is one of the provinces which has been the cradle of a number of civilizations and religious from the pre-Christian era to the present. There are many Christian, Jewish and Muslim structures still standing and now there are under the government's protection. The very important 17 church councils convened between 324 and 1563, eight of them were held in Turkey and the 1st and the 7th were held in Iznik. Iznik is one of the 8 different pilgrimage points in Turkey and the most important one.
Geruş Synagogue: It was built by Selim the 2nd in the beginning of the 16th century. It is located on the Arap Şükrü Street. Jews exiled from Spain at the end of the 14th century and were put on galleons sent by the Ottoman Empire where they were given refuge. The first groups were settled in Bursa and this synagogue was built for them. The fact that this synagogue was called Gerush, which means 'driven away' in Hebrew, is very symbolic of their suffering.
The Geruş Synagogue is still in excellent shape today. It is well-maintained and open for worshipers. The medallions found on either side of the Ehal Akodesh cabinet, where the Torah is kept, have Hebraic inscriptions recording the construction date and the name of the master builder. There is no other inscription showing any other details of construction.
Ets Ahayim Synagogue: (The Tree of Life) It is a significant synagogue in that it is the first one built during the Ottoman period. An imperial edict made during the reign of Orhan Bey, the conqueror of Bursa, gave permission for the establishment of this synagogue.
Mayor Synagogue: The groups of Jews from the Spanish island of Mallorca who were offered refuge by the Ottoman Empire were settled in Bursa and built this synagogue. The name is derived from the name of the island from which they had come. The synagogue is presently open for events and the section reserved for the washing of the dead is still being used.
The French Church: Built of stone, the pulpit and mihrab are in separate small rooms. The church is covered with a roof of wood and clay tiles. There was a recovery room for the sick there. It is thought to have been built in the 19th century.
H. Georgios Church: (Gölyazı) Built in the second half of the 19th century, the church is a rectangle whose walls are built using alternating layers of brick and rubble. Part of the original wood structure remains.
The Church of Harmanlı Village: (Karacabey) Started in 1833, the building was not finished until 1903. Today the roof of the church is gone and many of the walls have fallen down.
İznik Church: (İznik) A rectangular church most likely built in the 7th century. There are 9 different sections in the church. The walls are made of stone and brick and the vaults in the ceiling are bricks.
Koımesıs Tes Theotokos: (İznik) Koimesis means the 'Death of Mary.' The church is believed to have been built in the 8th century and gets its name from the frescoes portraying the death of Mary. The church was completely destroyed in 1922. Only the marble foundations remained.
The Church of St. Tryphonos: (İznik) It was built by the edict of the Emperor T. Laskaris in the 8th century, it has a rectangular design with four supports in the shape of a Greek cross. The walls are built using the alternating technique, in which one layer of rubble is covered with two to four layers of brick. The column and column heading are made of marble.
The Church of Karakoca Village: (Karacabey) The church was built in 1847 in honor of Zoodochos Pege. Today little more than a ruin, the top level has completely fallen in.
Koımesıs Tes Theotokos: (Demirtaş) It was built in 1834 and converted into a mosque in 1924, the church was a basilica. The walls are made of brick and rubble.
The Church of H. Konstantınos: (Helena) (Gölyazı) Found on the Manastir Island in the Lake Uluabat, the church was built in the 4th and 5th centuries. The walls of this Greek - cross type church are made of 5 levels of brick alternating with a level of rough cut stone.
The Church of Kumyaka: (Mudanya) The chuch was built between 780-797 A.D. during the reign of the Byzantine Emperor Konstantinos Porphyrogenetos IV, the church is a square with a large dome in the middle and 4 vaulted sides forming the shape of a cross . The walls are made of brick and stone and the roof is made of tile.
The Church of Michael Taxiarches: (Demirtaş) The church was built in the 19th century and turned into a mosque in 1948. It is a rectangular structure with a wooden ceiling. The inner walls made of rubble were taken out.
The Church of Mudanya: (Mudanya) It was built in 1834, the church is rectangular in shape. On the eastern side of the church there is a half-circle apse. The walls made of cut stone are covered in places with marble.
The Church of Theodoros: (Çalı) Two parts of this Byzantine structure remain here. One is the remains of a wall of a city of antiquity upon which a village was later constructed. The other is the Church of St. Theodoros. Little is known about this church.
The Yıldırım Medrese: (Religious School) In the northwest of the Yıldırım Mosque, it was built by Bayezit in 1399. Entering from the door, one sees a domed porch with 3 sides. There are 8 vaulted rooms leading to the porches from the right and the left. There are rooms for the teachers (hoca) on both sides of the entrances. The side porches are connected to vaulted classrooms. After being restored, the school was used as a dispensary.